HADLEY, PIPER, and BRYNDEL

Sisters, friends, blessed.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Through the Looking Glass

As we wind the summer down into the Labor Day weekend, and begin afresh with a new school year and a sure to be beautiful fall, we have much to be thankful for.  And as I watch my three little buddies peek out the window together, I am struck by just how far we've come.
Hadley & Piper in October of 2009!  
And while tomorrow is a bittersweet day in our house, Hadley skips off to 1st grade & Piper to 4K, I am ever SO thankful to be here versus last year at this time! 
For the sake of remembering this (now) funny story about last year's start of school, I should probably write it down... 
















Last year's first day of school dawned bright & early, especially for me, as I was up with sweet Bryndel 3 times during the night. She was all of 8 pounds and a mere 15 days old.  Kyle gratefully made us all breakfast, but was then out the door to the office, leaving me with 3 kiddos and the impending first day of Kindergarten.  Somehow we arrived at school right on time dressed (myself included) with hair done (theirs and mine, ha!) and a sack lunch made; a smiling but nervous Hadley, a reluctant and sad Piper, a thankfully sleeping Bryndel in her carseat, and a barely holding it together Mama.

We got Hadley unpacked at her little locker/cubby, said our huggy goodbyes, and watched her walk into the classroom without even looking back.  I quickly grabbed Piper's hand and headed straight down the hallway for the doors.  I wanted so much to make it outside those doors without my tears actually falling from my face. And we made it, before my emotions took hold (AND all of the extra hormones, mind you), and my face and shirt were soaked.

I looked down at Piper, to see a very confused look on her face, and suddenly I remembered.  "Piper, we forgot our baby!!!"  

We found sweet Bryndel happily still asleep in her carseat under Hadley's cubby right where we had left her.  No one but Piper & me the wiser, and we even managed another peek at Hadley, who appeared to be eagerly listening and learning already.    

Tomorrow is going to be a cake walk. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I'm laughing and crying for you right now. What a funny and sweet memory :) Anxious to hear how the 1st day goes this year for both of your "big girls" and I hope you enjoy some quiet Mommy time this afternoon and can soak up some solo time w/Bryndel too!

    ReplyDelete